THINGS TO DO
Long sandy beaches stretch all along the local coastline providing a place to relax with their own bars and family facilities. Mijas has 7-8 miles of clean and well-maintained beaches and coves such as Calahonda, La Cala and Cabopino. La Cala beach has been granted the E.U. Blue Flag.
Further east along the coastline, Playa de Fuengirola is one of the best beaches on the Costa.
During the summer months, all beaches have life saving facilities.
WATER PARKS, FUN-FAIRS AND ZOOS
Families in particular will enjoy spending time at a number of water parks, fun-fairs and zoos. The following are links to some of the more popular facilities and approximate journey times:-
- Parque Aquatico Mijas. A superb water theme park for adults and children of all ages that has great water chutes, including a "Kamikaze" ride, pools, slides and rapids. 15 minutes.
- Aqualand Torremolinos. Another aquapark (this one is the largest in Europe) with attractions that include water chutes, water mountain and artificial waves. 25 minutes.
- Fuengirola Zoo. The Costa del Sol's only zoo with a variety of animals, a reptile house and a children's playground. 15 minutes
- Selwo Aventura, Estepona. Safari park with over 2000 animals, 4x4 tours and adventure activities.
- Tivoli World, Benalmadena. A show and amusement park. In addition to numerous rides and amusements, visitors can enjoy flamenco shows, a wild West town, theatre and live music. 25 minutes.
- Crocodile Park, Torremolinos. One of the regions newest attractions with guided tours and feeding demonstrations.
- Sealife centre, Benalmadena.
- Selwo Marina, Benalmadena. Dolphins, exotic birds, penguins and virtual reality tours.
- Teleferico de Benalmadena. Cable car to the top of Calamorro mountain, falconry, trekking and horse-riding.
- Megabowl, Marbella. Ten-pin bowling (22 lanes), video games room and sports bar.
- Dolphin Safari, Gibraltar.
- Horse racing has returned to the Mijas Hippodrome.
A wide range of leisure facilities are available to visitors to the Costa del Sol - from a quiet, relaxing game of bowls to the thrills of jetskiing and quad-biking.
The local area of Mijas also benefits from a number of sports clubs and other amenities, most with summer and winter programmes.
For more details about these and other sporting activities see our page on Golf and Leisure.
Click on the Essential Kids link for a list of "things to do" to keep both children and adults happy. Some of the activities listed have their own websites (see the above sections).
Funny Beach Karting in Marbella. Amusement park that includes many attractions such as Go Karting (from ages 6+) and trampolines. 20 minutes.